We are in the endgame of CETA, the toxic trade deal between Canada and the EU, that will act as the back door for TTIP for many American multinational corporations. 80% of US corporations have offices in Canada, and it’s likely the remaining 20% will follow suit. They will want to take advantage of the investor court mechanism which allows corporations to sue national governments for loss of future profits if they don’t like the legislation / regulation passed by the government.
This secret court system threatens our public services, workers rights, food safety and standards, and the environment, ditching the high-quality EU Precautionary Principle which currently guides regulation, and swopping it for a high-risk strategy allowing all/any products to sold unless they kill someone.
BREXIT will not stop us from being affected by CETA – we in the UK could be bound by it for up to 20 years.
CETA has been signed but not yet ratified. MEPs are due to vote on CETA in February or March, and a vote in the member states and in UK parliament are expected to take place not long after. We still have time to influence their votes, and to encourage as many people as possible to write to their MEPs to ask them to vote against CETA.
JOIN US IN TRAFALGAR SQUARE THIS SATURDAY 21 JANUARY 2017
If you are able, please join in our action on Saturday 21 January in Trafalgar Square near Canada House and the ’empty plinth’ from 1.30pm. The Women’s March against Trump will also be ending in a rally in Trafalgar Square at 2.00pm, and it’s important that they also learn about toxic trade deals that ride roughshod over human rights.